Friday, December 12, 2008

Dewey Decimal System Challenge

January 1 - December 31, 2009
The Novel World is hosting the Dewey Decimal System Challenge.

I’m only 12 pages into a book about the history of libraries and it reminds me of a goal I had for myself back when I first started High School. I wanted to read every single book in the library before I graduated High School. I even checked out 5 books, one from each section (nonfiction, children’s, adult, etc). The first nonfiction book I read was of a scientists from Texas who swore he was abducted by aliens. My goal frittered out after that book.
I’ve decided that in 2009, I’m going to revive this lofty goal for myself, but with a few modifications. Instead of trying to read every single book, I’m going to follow the Dewey Decimal System, and read 1 book from each Dewey century.
The Dewey Chain goes as follows:
000 - Generalities
100 - Philosophy and Psychology
200 - Religion
300 - Social Sciences
400 - Language
500 - Natural Sciences + Math
600 - Technology
700 - The Arts
800 - Literature and Rhetoric
900 - Geography and History
The Novel World is asking interested readers to join in. Leave a comment on the post about the challenge to work with the host to come up with some fun monthly topics and points of view for that month’s Dewey category.