Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings is again hosting the Once Upon a Time III Challenge.
The Once Upon A Time Challenge is all about books that fall into one of four genres: Fantasy, Mythology, Fairy Tales or Folk Lore. Readers will choose from different levels to determine how much they want to read:
- The Journy: means you are participating, but not committing yourself to any specific number of books.
- Quest the First: Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time III criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.
- Quest the Second: Read at least one book from each of the four categories. In this quest you will be reading 4 books total: one fantasy, one folklore, one fairy tale, and one mythology. This proves to be one of the more difficult quests each year merely because of the need to classify each read and determine which books fit into which category. I am not a stickler, fear not, but I am endlessly fascinated watching how folks work to find books for each category.
- Quest the Third: Fulfill the requirements for Quest the First or Quest the Second AND top it off with a June reading of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream OR a viewing of one of the many theatrical versions of the play. Love the story, love the films, love the idea of that magical night of the year and so this is my chance to promote the reading of this farcical love story.
- Quest the Fourth: Read two non-fiction books, essay collections, etc. that treat any one or more of the four genres covered in this challenge.
- Short Story Weekends: This quest involves the reading of one or more short stories that fit within at least one of the four genres during the course of the weekend. Ideally you would post about your short story readings on Sundays or Mondays, but this is not strictly necessary.
You may participate in one quest or multiple quests, it is completely up to you and your reading whims!
To learn more of to join click Once Upon a Time III Challenge