October 11 - November 30, 2009
J.T. of Bibliofreak is hosting her first challenge. J.T. writes:
The novella is, I feel, a marginalized type of fiction. Longer than a short story, shorter than a novel, sometimes called a novelette, it’s tough to define. In general, I consider it to be somewhere between 70 and 120 pages. Perhaps it’s better to say what it is not? It is not a play. It is not epic poetry. It is not a slim book of short stories. It is not any sort of tract or treatise or manifesto or other such nonfiction. But it IS perfect for a few things: curling up in front of a fire on a windy night, you can finish it off in one sitting.There are four levels of participation to choose from for the challenge:
- Level I: Read one (just one!) novella by November 30, 2009
- Level II: Read four novellas (one each week, mayhaps?) by November 30, 2009
- Level III: Read eight novellas (two a week?) by November 30, 2009
- Level IV: AKA, the As Many As You Freakin’ Can level: Read as many novellas as you freakin’ can by November 30, 2009
- Cross-overs with other challenges are fine
- Audiobooks are fine
- Reading (and reviewing) before November starts (especially if you’re taking part in the 24 hour read-a-thon on October 24th!) is totally cool.
- J.T. asks that you make a list in advance, but swapping out books on your list as you go is no problem.
- If you don’t have a blog, that’s O.K.! You can still participate by writing a short review in the comments section of the review page. (When signing up, just leave the URL in the Mr. Linky blank.)