Lhea from The Black Bookshelf is hosting the Black Classics Reading Challenge. She writes:
2010 will be the first year for The Black Classics Challenge. The purpose of this reading challenge is to encourage people of all ages to read great, pre-modern literature that is not regularly promoted in the Western canon.Challenge Rules:
Most of the authors that I recommend will be of African decent, but readers are encouraged to read classic non-western authors of other ethnicities.
1. The book must have been originally published prior to the Harlem Renaissance (1920).Challenge Levels of Participation:
2. The author of the book, regardless country of birth, may be of African decent.
3. The book may be fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose.
- Curious -- I commit to 3 books
- Experienced -- I commit to 7 books (may include 1 anthology)
- Enthusiast -- I commit to 15 Books (may include 2 anthologies)