January 1 - December 31, 2011
Hotchpot Cafe is hosting the 2011 Birth Year Reading Challenge. She writes:
What books were published the year you were born, or just before or after your birth year? This challenge encourages you to find out, and then read some of them. You might even draw a few conclusions about social and literary trends that year. If nothing else, you'll have an incentive to explore books you might otherwise not have considered.
Wikipedia has lists of books by year published. You can also check literary prize lists for high-quality choices. Using Google to locate “best books of _____” also provides some interesting choices.If you already participated in this challenge, or if you discover you were born in a year of unattractive books, the Time Machine option gives you the chance to sample another year instead. So read on!
- Join anytime between now and November 30, 2011. The challenge ends at midnight EST on December 31, 2011.
- Choose books from your birth year OR Use the Time Machine to identify another year. First decide whether you want to read books from before or after your birth year. Then use a dice roll (real or virtual) to determine how many years to add to or subtract from your birth year, and choose books from that year.
- Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.
- Overlaps with other challenges are allowed and encouraged.
- Change your list at any time.
- Reviews and reactions are encouraged, but not required. You don’t need to have a blog to participate. But you do need to let Hotchpot Cafe know of your progress, so she can bestow your virtual candles. (Here's the progress page from BYRC 2010, so you can see how it works.)
- All genres and formats are eligible. If it’s a book, you can count it.
- One candle is awarded for each qualifying book you read. There is no limit on how few or how many candles you can earn.
When you meet your reading goal, you can select a book from Hotchpot Cafe's library – most likely a gently used trade paperback – and she'll mail it to you. But keep reading because . . .
On January 1, 2012, the three readers who’ve earned the most candles will be entered into a drawing for a $25.00 gift card from Barnes & Noble.
Read more and join by visiting the post about the challenge.