Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The World Needs More Canada Reading Challenge: 2011-12


March 5, 2011 - March 5, 2012

Christa at Hooked on Books is hosting The World Needs More Canada Reading Challenge. She writes:
Last month the latest Canada Reads was hosted. Canada Reads is an annual literary award hosted by the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). The winner this year was Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis, which I haven't read yet. Actually I hadn't read any of the nominees. And that's when I realized I had been neglecting my love of Canadian literature for all the other challenges I've got going on, the stack of ARCs on my shelf and my never ending battle with the 1001 list. So I've started this challenge for me to get back in touch with the literature of my native country.


But that's not the only reason. I love Canadian literature. I love it so much I've got a whole shelf dedicated to Margaret Atwood and I display my Canadian fiction books seperate from the rest. I now want to share this love of CanLit with everyone. Though some writers (like Margaret Atwood and Yann Martel) have made it big internationally I definitely think the world could use some more Canada, and that there are probably many Canadians that could use some more Canada too. There's a whole country of authors just waiting for you to discover them!
The Rules:
  • books need to be written by a Canadian author but can be set anywhere
  • re-reads are allowed
  • cross overs with other challenges are allowed
  • You don't need to have a blog to particiapte. Feel free to link your reviews from goodreads, librarythings, shelfari etc.
Levels:

3-5 Books: Hoser
6-8 Books: Tim Bit
9-11 Books: Lumberjack
12-15 Books: Mountie
15+ Books: Canuck

There will be a giveaway associated with this challenge.

For more information and to sign up, visit the post about the challenge.