Friday, July 1, 2011

Follow the Blurb Reading Challenge

July 1, 2011- June 30, 2012

Reading With Tequila is hosting a unique challenge,the Follow the Blurb Reading Challenge.  She writes:

The importance of blurbs on book covers is often debated. A blurb on the cover of a book is usually written by an author who writes in the same genre, but occasionally you find a quote from a high-profile, but seemingly random author. After noticing a few of these peculiar choices, I started wondering - if I followed the blurbers, where would they lead me?

The plan is simple. I'm going to chose a book to read. Once I finish that book, I'll chose a blurb from the front or back cover and read a book written by the quoted author. I'll read 10 books in this fashion, just to see where I end up. Will all the books have a common theme? Will they be in the same genre? Will all of the authors be the same gender or ethnicity? Will they all have the same publisher? Are they all equally well known? Or will the books appear to be nothing more than a completely random list?

I will begin with the very next book I read that has a blurb on the cover. For the challenge, I will only read books that have blurbs, so given the choice between a few authors blurbing the same book, I will make sure to choice to move onto an author that have cover blurbs next.


To join the challenge, go to the Follow the Blurb Reading Challenge.