January 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012
For the Death by Gaslight Reading Challenge, the goal is to read mysteries set in or written during the Victorian and Edwardian eras (1837 - 1910). I'll probably be reading mysteries set in England (since those are the ones I'm most interested in), but any location is acceptable, as long as the time frame fits. No more than 3 titles can be from the same series (except for the first special challenge, listed below).
There are 4 levels to choose from:
1. The Merry Widow of Windy Nook: 5 books
2. Palmer the Poisoner: 10 books
3. Burke and Hare, Body Snatchers: 15 books
4. Jack the Ripper: 20+ books
Additionally, there are 4 "special challenges". Books which are read for any of these special levels do not count towards the main reading levels. These are "extra credit" and are purely optional.
1. Serial Killer: Read an entire series (re-reading if necessary) from the first book until the last (or most recently published). There is no limit on the number of books, so a series could consist of 2 books or 20.
2. The Great Detective: Read 5 (or more) books featuring Sherlock Holmes, at least one of which must be an original story by Arthur Conan Doyle.
3. Arsenic and Air Ships: Read 5 (or more) books which are steampunk mysteries.
4. Penny Dreadfuls: Read 5 (or more) non-fiction books that detail Victorian or Edwardian crimes.
If you're interested in participating, I'd love the company!
For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.