Thursday, December 1, 2011

Southern Literature Challenge

image
January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012
It's that time of year again--time to sign up for challenges! I've decided to host my Southern Literature Challenge again this year. I personally read more Southern lit this year than I usually do because of this challenge, and I hope it encouraged a few of you to read it as well. The rules will be the same as last year.

Read a book(s)--non-fiction or fiction of any genre, adult or young adult--written by an author from the South and set mostly in the South.
Definitions of the South are flexible, so I've decided to define it the way I want. That's the fun of hosting your own challenge, right? :-)

The states:
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
North Carolina
Virginia
Tennessee
Mississippi
Louisiana
Kentucky
West Virginia
Texas
Arkansas
Florida--as long as you find a book by a Florida author and/or set in Florida that feels Southern.

Levels:
Level 1--C'mon in the house! Read 1 book.
Level 2--Pull up a seat and stay a while! Read 2 books
Level 3--Have a glass of sweet iced tea, honey. Read 3 books
Level 4--Y'all come back now, y'hear! Read 4 books

The challenge will run from January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012. You can join in anytime throughout the year.
I am not limiting the challenge to bloggers.  You can also link to a review you wrote on another site, such as GoodReads or LibraryThing.

Reading suggestions: I have a shelf on GoodReads with lots of books on it. There's also a Best Southern Literature list on GoodReads that readers have voted on that should give you lots of ideas.

I can't help but feel like there should be a reward for a challenge successfully completed.  So, I'll offer up one Southern lit book of your choice (up to $15) to two randomly-drawn readers at the end of the challenge.  Each review you link will give you one entry, with a limit of four entries per person.  This part will be open to anyone who lives in an area where Book Depository offers free shipping.
For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.