January 1, 2013 – December 31, 2013
One of my favorite challenges last year was the Non-Fiction Non-Memoir Reading Challenge sponsored by Julie at My Book Retreat. When I was hunting for challenges this year, I noticed its absence, emailed Julie with my despair, and she graciously handed over the baton (thank you, Julie). I think we all tend to miss out on non-fiction titles and this was a great way for me to increase the number of them I read so I wanted to pass along the love!
Grab a button and read below to sign up!
Here are the gory details:
- Books can be any format (bound, ebook, audio) but must be written for adults or young adults.
- Books can cover many different topics, including science, technology, religion, sociology, business, biography, politics, economics, history, food, art/design, etc.
- How-to, self-help and travel books are permitted, as long as you actually read them cover to cover, and don't just use them as a reference.
- Crossovers with other challenges are permitted.
What Does Not Count:
- Reference books, cookbooks and instruction manuals that are not meant to be read cover to cover
- Essays and articles (but collections of essays are allowed)
- How-to, self-help or travel books that are not read cover to cover
- Memoirs, journals and autobiographies
- Books written for children
- Re-reads don't count since the point is to learn something new
- Elementary - 5 nonfiction books
- Diploma - 10 nonfiction books
- Bachelor's Degree - 15 nonfiction books
- Master's Degree - 20 nonfiction books
- PhD - 25 nonfiction books
- Write a starting post that states which level you will be working toward, including a link back to this post. You can include a list of books, but it is not required. Link to your post in the Linky below.
- If you don't have a blog, leave your information in the comments on [the sign-up post].
- Reviews are not required, but you can link up below if you write one. If you don't have a blog, feel free to link to a review on GoodReads or LibraryThing.
- You can sign up for this challenge through November 30, 2013.
- A random winner will be chosen for a giveaway of a great non-fiction book at the end of the year. You must write a wrap-up post and add it to the wrap-up linky in order to be eligible for the giveaway. If you don't have a blog you can review your accomplishments in the comments for the wrap-up posts.
This reading challenge is hosted by Chaotic Compendiums. For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.