January 1, 2014 – December 31, 2014
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014. I will post a wrap-up post at the end of each month with a link to my retelling review(s) for that month. Each retelling read MUST be reviewed in some way.
- Novel-length (150+ pages) fiction only
- No more than 2 re-reads
- All formats allowed
- Anyone can join at any time in the year, although books read prior to joining do not count.
- You don’t have to have a blog to join; reviewing on Goodreads or Amazon is fine as long as everybody can see it.
- Books don’t have to be stated in advance; it’s up to you!
- ARC’s are fine, but try to read some that aren’t new releases.
- Retellings can be anything from a contemporary version of a Shakespeare play to an interpretation of Sleeping Beauty. As long as there is evidence it is a retelling of some kind, it will most likely count. But you can’t just start reading a random book and go, “Oh! This sort of reminds me of blankety-blank.” There must be some sort of statement that this is based on a prior work.
- The retelling can have an oral origin. Not all legends/myths were traditionally written down, but if it’s a legitimate story, it works. For example, most Native American folklore was not written, but a retelling of some Iroquois tale is perfectly valid.
- Easy: 1-5 books
- Not So Easy: 6-12 books
- I Like A Challenge: 13-19 books
- I Eat Easy for Breakfast: 20+
This reading challenge is hosted by The Nighttime Novelist. For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.