Welcome to the 1st year of the Diversity on the Shelf reading challenge. The aim of Diversity on the Shelf 2014 Challenge is add diversity to you bookshelf by reading books by authors of color and/or about a main character of color.
Challenge Details1. Any book (by any author) with a main character that is a person of color qualifies for this reading challenge, as well as any book written by an author of color. The goal is to encourage readers have a more diverse reading experience and to support diversity in the publishing industry by reading and reviewing books by or about person of color.
2. The challenge will run from January 1, 2014 – December 31, 2014 (books read prior to 1/1/2014 do not count towards the challenge). You can join anytime before 12/1/2014. Sign up at My Little Pocketbooks
3. Books can be any format (print, ebook, audio).
4. Novellas, Short story collections, Poetry, Graphic novels/manga, Children Books, and all genres are allowed.
5. Books can be of any publication date.
6. You can choose your books as you go or create a list in advance. Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
Join the Challenge
You do not have to be a book blogger to participate; you can track your progress on Goodreads, LibraryThing, BookLikes, Libib, etc., just as long as you have a dedicated shelf for the Diversity on the Shelf 2014 Challenge and your profile is not private. The point of linking up is to have a place where people can see what you’re reading.
Pick a LevelChoose how many diversity centered books you would like to add to your “read” shelf in 2014:
1st Shelf: Read 1-6 books2nd Shelf: Read 7 -12 books3rd Shelf: Read 13 - 18 books4th Shelf: Read 19 -24 books5th Shelf: Read 25+ books
Once you pick a level you can go higher and read more books but you cannot go down a level.
If you'd like to participate in the Diversity on the Shelf 2014 Reading Challenge, please sign up, and if you have a blog please spread the word by grabbing the button and post about your participation.
This reading event is hosted by My Little Pocketbooks. For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.If you need some ideas for what to read go to the original POC Reading Challenge blog.There will be giveaways along the way, theme reads and a giveaway at the end for the participants who participate each month and completes the challenge.