January 1, 2014 – January 17, 2015
I'm announcing the 2014 Book of the Year Bracket Challenge!
What is the BOTY Challenge, you ask?
After posting my Read All the Books post explaining how I do my annual Book of the Year Bracket, Karsyn over at Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannok Book Blog (KaKiJoKoJa) suggested we make this a group project. I thought that was a wonderful idea. I've been inspired to throw down the gauntlet, host my first very own blogging challenge, and have other blogger-readers join me in creating their own BOTY brackets this year! Let the challenge BEGIN!
1. Write a post on your blog declaring your intent to join this year's challenge. Help me to get the word out and get more bloggers involved. The more the merrier!
Be sure to take the blurb and button below and add them to your post in order to link back to this sign-up page and help others find the right place to start.
The Book of the Year Bracket Challenge is a blogging challenge open to all reading bloggers and operated by Elle at Erratic Project Junkie. Participants set a goal for the number of books they wish to read in a year and then enter those books into an NCAA style bracket of any size and in any order they choose. During January 2015, all participating bloggers will begin working through their brackets, eliminating books and picking champions with the ultimate goal of naming their favorite book (book of the year) for 2014. For all BOTY Bracket Challenge information, scheduling, and updates, visit Erratic Project Junkie.
2. Add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post. The linky will be open until December 31, 2013 at 11:50pm MST.
3. Decide on a goal for the number of books you'd like to enter in your bracket. Brackets may exist in any of the following book counts: 8, 16, 32, 64, etc. You decide the parameters for how a book gains entry into your bracket and which position in the bracket they start in. For some examples, check out how I designed my brackets over the years.
4. Start reading and fill up those brackets! In order to help you keep track of the books you've read, consider getting an account over at Goodreads and adding yourself to their 2014 Reading Challenge.
5. Participate in bracket elimination posts. Eliminations begin on January 3rd, 2015. Final winners will be announced on January 17th, 2015. The following schedule will be used for BOTY posts:
January 3rd : Reveal starting brackets.
January 6th : Initial eliminations. All rounds of eliminations needed to get the number of contestants reduced to 32.
January 8th : Elimination to find the Sweet Sixteen.
January 10th : Reducing challengers to eight books - the Elite Eight.
January 13th : Quarterfinals. Determine your Final Four.
January 15th : Semi-Finals. Only two may enter the final arena.
January 17th : Finals...the Champion will be determined. Announce your Book of the Year!
If you have fewer than 64 books, you may use any of the non-applicable elimination rounds to join in on challenge posts. Separate blogging challenges will be given for each round (beginning with the January 3rd reveal post). These will include choosing your favorite books in other categories besides the one to rule them all.
Be sure to check out bloggers on the linky throughout the year to see their progress on their individual reading challenges, book reviews, and watch their brackets fill. Get to know one another before the big showdown.
Want to participate, but not sure how to make a bracket? Don't worry! I'll be posting savable and editable brackets later this month for you to use yourself. Don't let the fear of the bracket be the reason you don't participate!
This reading challenge is hosted by Erratic Project Junkie. For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.