Monday, November 10, 2014

Black Friday Read-a-Thon


THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 27 & FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2014


Hey, if the retail giants can start Black Friday on Thanksgiving, then so can I!
Black Friday is always one big washout for me. I don’t watch football. I don’t set up Christmas decorations. And I definitely don’t like shopping with crowds. (In fact, I have convinced myself that if I so much as walk around the block, I will be trampled by angry mobs.) Invariably, I spend the day alternating between not getting anything done and worrying about not getting anything done. Well, this year that changes.
Since I couldn’t find an existing Black Friday/Post-Thanksgiving read-a-thon, I’ve made one. Here are the rules:
  • If you want to play along, just drop a comment below! You do not need to have a blog to join. But if you are going to be posting about this read-a-thon on a blog or social media site, please do link back here so that others can join too!
  • The read-a-thon starts directly after dinner on Thursday night (whatever time that may be for you) and ends at 11:59 PM on Friday in your timezone.
  • You do not have to read for the entire read-a-thon. I know some people will have to go to work, will be finishing up NaNoWriMo, etc. Read as much as you can, when you can.
  • If you want this read-a-thon to be a statement against consumer culture, you can make it that. Or you can read while standing in line outside Best Buy. For the purposes of this read-a-thon, I don’t care. If you want to read, you can join. But please, no fisticuffs in the comment section. I want this event to be safe and fun.
  • You do not have to be in the United States. I know y’all don’t share our Thanksgiving holiday or the Black Friday phenomenon, but if you just want an excuse to read, you’re welcome to join.
  • And lastly, Bonus Points* for reading books with black covers or with the word “black” in the title. (*Note: Bonus Points are non-transferable, have no cash value, and may in fact be utterly worthless. Consult with your doctor if Bonus Points give you an ego boost lasting more than four hours.)
That’s it! This is my first time hosting a read-a-thon, so don’t hesitate to let me know if I’ve left out something vital! I don’t currently have plans for prizes or mini-challenges since I don’t even know if anyone will join. But in case someone cares, I’ll be making my to-be-read post for this read-a-thon on the 24th, and I’d love to see what you plan on reading too!
This reading event is hosted by Don't Blame The Butler. For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.