January 1 - December 31, 2011
Jen is hosting the Criminal Plots Reading Challenge on its own dedicated blog. She writes:
Welcome to my first ever Criminal Plots reading challenge! I hemmed and hawed over whether to add another reading challenge to the book blogging sphere, but with some help and encouragement from very good friends, I decided to take the plunge and here we are with Criminal Plots.The goal is to read six books ... One for each of the following categories:
What I would hope for people who participate to get out of this challenge is exposure to the crime fiction genre. I know that is a bad word to some people, but really, it's nothing more than a classification. Authors have been breaking the genre rules for years now and even those who write within the guidelines write some pretty fantastic stuff. And if you're a crime fiction aficionado, I hope this challenge motivates you to read some books you've been meaning to read and haven't gotten to or it encourages you to read something you haven't tried before.
- A book by a new to you author who's blurbed a book you enjoyed. So check out the cover of a crime fiction book you've enjoyed and see who blurbed that book and is also an author you've never read before.
- A book that has been made into a movie. It doesn't have to be a movie you've seen but it can be. The book, however, should be one you haven't read before.
- A book with a protagonist opposite your own gender. So if you're female, the protagonist should be male; if you're male the protagonist should be female.
- A book set outside the country in which you live.
- A book that's the first in a new-to-you series.
- A book by a 2011 debut author.
- You can read the books in any format you choose: print, audio, e-book, etc.
- You can read books from any sub-genre of crime fiction: hardboiled, P.I., police procedural, cozy, thriller, etc.
- You do not need to have a blog to participate.
- You can use the books for other challenges but one book cannot count for more than one category in THIS challenge.
- Books do not need to be pre-determined. You can choose them at any time throughout the year. And you can read them in whatever order you choose.
- At the conclusion, each participant that completes the challenge will be entered for a chance at one of three prize packs.