Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lord of the Rings Read-a-Long

January 1 - December 31, 2011

LL is hosting her own Lord of the Rings Read-a-Long in 2011.  She writes:

Something about December makes me crave Lord of the Rings. I think it is probably nostalgic memories of waiting for the movies to come out and going with my family after Christmas. Last year I started rereading the series, only to stop in favor of other books. While I read the series when I was younger, I have been wanting to revisit Middle Earth for years.

So I hatched up a plan - read a book every three months. That gives me enough time to stay on top of my other reading, while still being able to immerse myself in the story I've been missing. I was planning to do it on my own. However, as I saw some read-a-longs on other blogs, I thought it would be fun to turn this into one. I have never hosted or participated in a read-a-long, so I am just figuring this out as I go, but please feel free to join in the fun.

Here is the schedule:
January - March 31, 2011: The Fellowship of the Ring
April - June 30, 2011: The Two Towers
July - September 30, 2011: The Return of the King
October - December 31, 2011: Any other book by or about Tolkien!

Why not The Hobbit? I have read The Hobbit three or four times. I love it, but I don't really want to reread it this year. I am thinking that I might try the Silmarillion. However, because others may want to read it, and because of the movie coming out this year, I wanted to let it be up to you what you would like to read.

Feel free to join in for just one of the books, or all of them - whatever you have been wanting to reread. I plan on posting each month about how the read-a-long is going.

To join, go to Lord of the Rings Read-a-Long.