Now through January 31st, 2013
Birth Year Reading Challenge 2012 - Honors
What books were published the year you were born, or the birth year of someone special to you? This challenge encourages you to find out, and then read some of them. You might even draw a few conclusions about social and literary trends that year. If nothing else, you'll have an incentive to explore books you might otherwise not have considered.
Wikipedia has lists of books by year published. You can also check literary prize lists for high-quality choices. Using Google to locate “best books of _____” also provides some interesting choices. There is also a cool feature at BibliOZ where you can check the New York Times bestseller list for the week you were born. (Special thanks to 3m at 1morechapter for pointing this out.)
If you already participated in this challenge, or if you discover you were born in a year of unattractive books, the Honors option gives you the chance to sample another year instead. So read on!
Ready to join? Leave a comment and a link to your post, and I'll sign you right up.
1. Join anytime between now and November 30, 2012. The challenge ends at midnight EST on January 31, 2013.
2. a. Choose books from your birth year.
2.b. Choose someone you want to honor, then choose books from their birth year. Your sign-up post should include who they are (not necessarily by name) and the reason you want to honor them.
3. Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.
4. Overlaps with other challenges are allowed and encouraged.
5. Change your list at any time.
6. Reviews and reactions are encouraged, but not required. You don’t need to have a blog to participate. But you do need to let me know of your progress, so I can bestow your virtual candles. (Here's the progress and reviews page from BYRC 2011, so you can see how it works.)
7. All genres and formats are eligible. If it’s a book, you can count it.
8. One candle is awarded for each qualifying book you read. There is no limit on how few or how many candles you can earn.
When you meet your reading goal, you can select a book from my library – most likely a gently used trade paperback – and I'll mail it to you. But keep reading because . . .
The person who reads the most books for the challenge will receive a fun little surprise package with a bookish theme.
On February 1, 2013, the three readers who’ve earned the most candles will be entered into a drawing for a $25.00 gift card from Barnes & Noble. Nothing like a little no-cost book shopping to start a new year off right!
For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.