Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Vintage Children’s Literature Reading Challenge 2013

276830708315961651_7LSI7yDz_c
January 31st, 2013 – December 31st, 2013
Finally I decided to bite the bullet and enter the blog world of challenge hosting.   I have a bit of an interest in classic or vintage children's literature, so I have decided to host a vintage children's literature reading challenge.  I realise this is a little late to start but better late than never.  I must confess that this is a bit of a learning experience for me, for while I have participated in challenges I have never hosted one.  This is really about adding to reading enjoyment by starting a conversation and by refining some of my blogging skills.  Even if there are only a couple of people interested in participating I am interested to see if from the challenge we generate a list of must read children's books, whether or not some old classics are worthy of a re-visit and whether they stand the test of time.  Are classic books still accessible to a current generation of readers or are they best left to nostalgic adults?
Rules
1. Only titles published before the year 2000 count.  So that means only the first three Harry Potter novels would qualify for this challenge.
2.  The challenge focuses mainly on novels but you can choose picture books or collections of short stories or non-fiction,  if you desire .
3.  Challenge runs from 31st of January to the 31st of December 2013 and you can sign up at any time.
4. You don't need a blog to participate, you can just sign up and for each book read just leave a comment on the monthly post for the challenge or you could link to your goodreads page, facebook, twitter, whatever you can think of.
5. Choose a level
6.  If you blog, write an introduction post with the badge and a link back here.  Maybe outline some of the titles you plan to read.
7. Any format counts, including e-books and audio books, re-reads count as do double ups with other challenges.
Levels:
Gumnut baby - four books.  (the gumnunt babies are the most famous characters by Australian children's author illustrator May Gibbs.)
Alice - six books - you are entering into the wonderland of childhood.
Mary Poppins - ten books - you have a serious interest in the world of the young.
Peter Pan - twelve books or more - you clearly are still in touch with your inner child.
I will post monthly on subjects related to children's literature and sporadically I will organise some giveaways, they will mostly be for simple fun things like cool bookmarks, however I will organise something special towards the end of the year.
This challenge is about reading fun and my learning some new skills with blogging so comments and suggestions welcome.  I have added a linky, which I hope works, ( I have never used one before except as a participant).   If you sign up please leave a comment.  I will set up a separate tab for the challenge and as a place to link to posts.  I will post details of an initial giveaway open to anyone who reads a vintage children's title between now and the end of March and leaves a comment and or link.
For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.