January 1, 2014 – December 31, 2014
This year we will be stretching out reading boundaries a little bit more! If you thought 2013 was tough, wait until you see this list! You will definitely be reading Outside the Box this time around! I had fun making up the categories and added one just for YOU! Make up your category and share it with the rest of us! I will ADD them to the list and allow people to chose the one you made up, or their own!
I hope you have fun! In 2014, I will also be better at getting the posts up for you to share your reviews. And we will have a Wrap-Up in December, so that everyone can see what you read in one simple post!
Here are the Categories
(to see what you are getting yourself in to this year!)
Classics are the new black – read a classic novel
It’s a serial thing – you’ve read the first in a series (or even three of them), it’s time to read another!
Lost in translation – time to read a book that was first written in another language and then translated.
It’s about time! – read a book that has been sitting on your shelf for at least two years! (and haven’t read it yet!)
By the numbers – read a book with a Number in the title
Weird Science! – read a book that features some form of science – and maybe discover an untapped passion.
I just love a good Duet – a book written by more than one author.
New Guy in Town – read a Debut book written by a new author.
Almost Human – read a book from the perspective of an animal – or an alien – or a robot! (at least feature an ‘almost human’)
Chunkster-time! – read a book that is longer 500 pages. (Time to dust off War and Peace)
Random Rescue – go to a used book store and RANDOMLY pick a book! (could even be from a grab-bag)
Under-Aged Writer – read a book by an author who is not yet 21. Here's a little help.
Time for exercise – read a book that is set in or around a sport or exercise activity (like yoga or baseball). This can be fiction or nonfiction!
Make-Believe - This category is just for YOU! (and anyone who wants to try it!) Here is your chance to let others know what would get you outside of your Comfort Zone!
Here are the levels
Choose your level – just how far out of the box do you want to go?
I’m a little Scared: 3-4 categories
It’s not so bad out here!: 5-7 categories
Look at me, outside my comfort zone!: 8-10 categories
Outside In!: 11-13 categories
No Box can Contain Me!: I did ALL 14!
Now, for the deets!
This challenge will run from 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2014.
1. Sign up any time. However, sign-ups will close 1 December 2014
2. You cannot use any books or reading material that was read before 1 January 2014.
3. This year you can post at any time under the Category found below, but you must post a link to your review for it to count! If you don’t have a blog, be sure to link up the review you did in GoodReads, Amazon, Library Thing, etc. We need to read your review!
4. Share the Love (PLEASE!?!) – Write your intentions on your blog, link back to this post, have the button on a side bar, so others will know what fun you are having, and they can have it too!
5. You cannot use one book for multiple categories. You can, however, read a book for this challenge and use it for another challenge.
6. Comment below with how comfortable you are of climbing out of your literary box! BUT, don’t feel you have to be tied to that level! You are shy and want to start slowly but love the feeling of the air outside of where you are…go for it! You thought you wouldn't be contained and think that the box is warm and comfy, that’s okay too!
7. Be encouraging! Sometimes it’s a little frightening coming out of your comfort zone. Go to the other participants’ sites and give them words to help free them. Offer suggestions on the best ways to climb out of the box – give them a ladder that they can use!
8. Optional – share books. Be willing to swap books with other participants (unless they are library books, or books that are not yours, then you might find yourself in a whole other type of box, and I can’t help you then!)
9. Make sure you post your reviews every month. Who knows, I just might have a surprise giveaway that month!
This reading challenge is hosted by Musings of a Book Lover. For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.