Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 LGBT Reading Challenge

January 1, 2014 – December 31, 2014


New Year, new challenge!  Seeing all those fun sounding reading challenges around the 'sphere and failing to locate one for LGBT books, one I'd participate in for sure, I decided to create my own LGBT Challenge 2014.  I already know that I'll be reading a lot of LGBT books in 2014, so why not make it a challenge?  And that way it can be a group activity sort of thing, which - hopefully - means more FUN.

I have never hosted anything like this before, and I have ideas that are not exactly traditional because what I hope to create is more like a very nontraditional book club than just a challenge.  I want us to read LGBT books and review them -of course-, but I want MORE.  I plan discussions, lists, mini-events and other monthly "things".  Those things are still work-in-progress or well, secret.  But I promise, they are going to be fun.  If you like my kind of fun. Hehe.

FAQ, because I bet you have some questions:

How many LGBT books do I have to read?  In order to clear the challenge and be eligible for the giveaway, you have to read and review at least three LGBT books from January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014.  I don't want to overload you, especially because I'm planning other things as well, but feel free to read a lot MORE, if you want to.  *grin*

Did you say GIVEAWAY?  Why yes, I indeed did.  At the end of the year, one lucky reader will be able to choose any LGBT books up to $30 from Amazon or Book Depository.  (That's at least two books, more if you choose paperbacks or ebooks.) And yes, the giveaway is international.

How can I win this grand prize?  By reading and reviewing LGBT books and posting LGBT related discussion posts.  Every reviewed book and every discussion post will worth one entry.

That's it? Only one prize?  No.  I'll also be giving away small prizes at the end of every month.  Now, these prizes are really going to be small, more like a thank you for participating gift than anything, but I'll try to send every winner something they like.  Also, I don't want to have too many big prizes as I want you to sign up because it sounds interesting and fun, and don't want to buy participation.  Hope you understand.

Hm, sounds interesting, but could you clarify what you mean by "LGBT books"?  Well, basically, you can read any book that falls under the L(esbian) G(ay) B(isexual) T(ransexual) T(ransgender) Q(ueer) Q(uestioning) I(ntersex)+ spectrum as long as it's YA, since this is a YA-centric blog. And since I love manga, I'll include shounen and shoujo ai manga as well. But only shounen ai and shoujo ai!

Any formats - print books, ebooks, audiobooks - are allowed and welcome.

Books can overlap with other challenges.



This reading challenge is hosted by Fighting Dreamer. For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.